School of Science
Dr Irene Ling completed her BSc in Applied Chemistry in 2004, MSc in Materials Science in 2006 and PhD in 2010 all from the University of Malaya. After significant time building independent research as a postdoc, she was appointed as a Lecturer in Inorganic Chemistry in 2016 within the School of Science at Monash Malaysia. Her research interest include studying supramolecular chemistry (self-assembly), crystallography & crystal engineering, advanced materials (carbon rich nanomaterials, fluorescent dyes), sensors and green chemistry (organocatalyst). She has published over 20 research and review articles since 2005, primarily in the area of supramolecular chemistry and crystal engineering. She has been invited to give talks on her research at various Universities and Conferences abroad, including Flinder’s University (2014), Monash University (2015) and The Collaborative Conference on Crystal Growth, Hong Kong (2015).
- Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry, University Malaya, 2010
- Master of Technology in Material Science, University Malaya, 2006
- Bachelor of Science in Applied Chemistry, University Malaya, 2004
- supramolecular chemistry (self-assembly)
- crystallography & crystal engineering
- green chemistry
- materials chemistry
- Supramolecular chemistry (self-assembly)
- Crystallography& crystal engineering
- Advanced materials (carbon rich nanomaterials, fluorescent dyes)
- Green chemistry (organocatalyst)
CHM1052 (Chemistry Advanced II)
Das, V. K.; Woi, P. M.; Ling, I.; Zahid, N. I. M.; Seenivasagam, S., Dedicated to Chemistry-Captivating Lindau. Academy of Sciences Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2014
Sulfonato- and Phosphonatocalixarenes in Self-Assembly, Discrete Molecular Assemblies (Volume), Comprehensive Supramolecular Chemistry II, Elsevier
I. Ling, M. Taha, N. A. Al-Sharji & O. K. Abou-Zied, Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 2017, 194, 36-44
I. Ling & C. L. Raston, Coord. Chem. Rev., 2017, DOI: 10.1016/j.ccr.2017.11.004
I. Ling, A. N. Sobolev, C. L. Raston, RSC Advances, 2016, 6(104), 102695-102702.
I. Ling, A. N. Sobolev, C. L. Raston, ʺGadolinium(III) mediated multi-component confinement of imidazolium cations in p-sulfonated calixareneʺ CrystEngComm, 2016, 18, 4929-4937.
I. Ling, A. N. Sobolev, K. Sabah, R. Hashim, ʺEfficient Packing of Long Flexible bis-Imidazolium Cations in the Ubiquitous Bilayers of their p- Sulfonatocalixarene Saltsʺ CrystEngComm, 2015, 17, 5841-5848.
M. Rahman, I. Ling, N. Abdullah, R. Hashim, A. Hajra. ʺOrganocatalysis by p-sulfonic acid calixarene: a convenient and efficient route to 2,3- dihydroquinazolin-4(1H)-ones in waterʺ RSC Adv., 2015, 5, 7755-7760.
I. Ling, A. N. Sobolev, C. L. Raston, ʺControlling the organization of phosphonium cations relative to p-sulfonatocalixarene anionsʺ CrystEngComm, 2015, 17, 1526-1530.
I. Ling, R. Hashim, K. Sabah, “Sugar thiacrown-ether appended calixarene as a selective chemosensor for Fe2+ and Fe3+ ions”, RSC Adv., 2015, 5, 88038-88044.
I. Ling, B. W. Skelton, A. N. Sobolev, Y. Alias, C. L. Raston. ʺManipulating the conformation and interplay of p-sulfonated calixarenes by lower rim tri- substitution with N'-cyanocarbamimidate groupsʺ CrystEngComm, 2014, 16, 5159-5164.
I. Ling, A. N. Sobolev, R. Hashim,J. M. Harrowfield, ʺStereochemistry of cage amine complexes – probing the ligand conformational flexibility with hydrogen bondsʺ CrystEngComm, 2014, 16, 11058-11063.
I. Ling, A. N. Sobolev, Y. Alias, C. L. Raston, ʺMicelle to extended multicomponent bilayer systems involving decyl and dodecyl imidazolium and pyridinium cationsʺ, CrystEngComm, 2013, 15, 2888-2896.
I. Ling, Ramiz A. Boulos, B. W. Skelton, A. N. Sobolev, Y. Alias, C. L. Raston, ʺConstructing Multicomponent Materials Involving Inclusion of Mono- and Bis- Imidazolium Cations in Gadolinium(III)‐p‐sulfonatocalixarene Coordination Networksʺ, Cryst. Growth Des., 2013, 13, 2025–2035.
I. Ling, K. S. Iyer, C. S. Bond, A. N. Sobolev, Y. Alias, C. L. Raston, ʺSodium ion association via bridging water molecules for different charged p- phosphonated calixarene bilayersʺ, CrystEngComm, 2012, 14, 8541-8546.
I. Ling, Y. Alias, M. S. Abdul Rahim, B. W. Skelton, L. T. Byrne, C. L. Raston, ʺAxially Aligned Confinement of 1,4-Bis(triethylammoniomethyl)benzene by Two p-Sulfonatocalixarenesʺ, Aust. J. Chem. 2012, 65, 755–762.
I. Ling, Y. Alias, B. W. Skelton, C. L. Raston, ʺConformationally flexible p- sulfonated calixarene binding with large bis-phosphonium cationsʺ, Cryst. Growth Des., 2012, 12, 1564−1570.
I. Ling, Y. Alias, B. W. Skelton, C. L. Raston, ʺInclusion controlled lanthanide– imidazolium functionalised carboxylate complexationʺ, Dalton Trans., 2012, 41, 4884–4889.
I. Ling, Y. Alias, A. N. Sobolev, B. W. Skelton, C. L. Raston, ʺSite specific Co(III) sarcophagine binding in multi-component phosphonium and p- sulfonatocalixarene systemsʺ, Dalton Trans., 2011, 40, 10337-10344.
I. Ling, Y. Alias, C. L. Raston, ʺp-Sulfonatocalixarene and imidazolium zwitterion stabilised nano-arrays of fullerene C60 and C70ʺ, New J. Chem., 2011, 35, 1549–1555.
I. Ling, Y. Alias, A. N. Sobolev, L. T. Byrne, C. L. Raston, ʺSupramolecular architecture containing end capping bis-imidazolium cationsʺ, CrystEngComm, 2011, 13, 787-793.
I. Ling, Y. Alias, A. N. Sobolev, C. L. Raston, ʺHirshfeld surface analysis of phosphonium saltsʺ, CrystEngComm, 2010, 12, 4321-4327.
I. Ling, Y. Alias, B. W. Skelton, C. L. Raston, "Hierarchical Assembly Involving Hydroxyethyl-substituted Imidazolium Cations and p-Sulfonatocalixarenesʺ, Aust. J. Chem. 2010, 63, 1492–1496.
I. Ling, Y. Alias, C. L. Raston, ʺStructural diversity of multi-component self assembled systems incorporating p-sulfonatocalixareneʺ, New J. Chem., 2010, 34, 1802–1811.
I. Ling, Y. Alias, A. N. Sobolev, L. T. Byrne, C. L. Raston, ʺSelective binding of imidazolium cations in building multi-component layersʺ, Chem. Eur. J., 2010, 16, 6973-6982.
I. Ling, Y. Alias, A. N. Sobolev, C. L. Raston, ʺLanthanoid assisted self assembly of imidazolium cations in organic bi-layersʺ, CrystEngComm, 2010, 12, 1869–1875.
I. Ling, Y. Alias, A. N. Sobolev, C. L. Raston, ʺp-Sulfonatocalixarene– pyrrolidinium complexation in building multi-component layered arraysʺ, Cryst. Growth Des., 2010, 10, 1312-1318.
I. Ling, Y. Alias, A. N. Sobolev, C. L. Raston, ʺMulti-component bi-layers featuring [1-octyl-2,3-dimethylimidazolium∩p-sulfonatocalixarene] supermoleculesʺ, New J. Chem., 2010, 34, 414-419.
I. Ling, Y. Alias, A. N. Sobolev, C. L. Raston, ʺCalixarene C8-imidazolium interplay as a design strategy for penetrating organic bi-layersʺ, CrystEngComm, 2010, 12, 573- 578.
I. Ling, Y. Alias, A. N. Sobolev, C. L. Raston, ʺConstructing Multicomponent Materials Containing Cavitands, and Phosphonium and Imidazolium Cationsʺ, Cryst. Growth Des., 2009, 9, 4497-4503.
I. Ling, Y. Alias, M. Makha, C. L. Raston, ʺWater solublisation of single-walled carbon nanotubes using p-sulfonatocalixareneʺ, New J. Chem., 2009, 33, 1583-1587.
Y. Alias, I. Ling and K. Kumutha, ʺStructural and electrochemical characteristics of 49% PMMA grafted polyisoprene-LiCF3SO3-PC based polymer electrolytesʺ, Ionics, 2005, 11(5-6), 414-417.
- I. Ling, 2017, Co-investigator, Grant Putra, Universiti Putra Malaysia
- I. Ling, 2011, Co-investigator, High Impact Research Grant MOHE-UM, Ministry of Higher Education-University Malaya
- I. Ling, 2009, Postgraduate Research Grant (PPP)- PS354/2009A, University Malaya
- I. Ling, 2008, Postgraduate Research Grant (PPP)- PS192/2008A, University Malaya
Honours student (Present)
- Loh Sze Le
3rd Year Project students (Completed)
- Teh Yang Shen
- Loh Sze Le
- Hong Xin Ru
Engagement with Premier International Universities
- College of Science, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman, Visitor, 2015, 2016
- Monash Ionic Liquids Group, Monash University Australia, Visiting Post-doctoral, 2015
- Flinders Centre for NanoScale Science and Technology, Flinders University Australia, Honorary Visiting Scholar, 2014
- Centre for Strategic Nano-fabrication, The University of Western Australia, Australia, Honorary Visiting Post-doctoral, 2010-2011
- Centre for Strategic Nano-fabrication, The University of Western Australia, Australia, Visiting Scholar, 2008-2010
Member of Professional Bodies
- Materials Research Society Singapore (Member - 2009)
- American Chemical Society (Member to present
Academic/Corporate Community Engagements
- 7th Asian Conference on Colloid and Interface Science, Kuala Lumpur, 2017 (Poster presenter)
- 17th Electron Microscopy Society Malaysia Scientific Conference, Glenmarie Shah Alam, Dec 2008 (Poster presenter)
- International Conference of Molecular Chemistry 2008, UM, Nov 2008 (Oral and Poster presenter)
- Nano Sci-Tech Conference 2008, UiTM, Nov 2008 (poster presenter)
- 31st International Electronics Manufacturing Technology Conference, Malaysia, 2006.
- International Conference of Functional Materials and Devices, Malaysia, 2005 (Poster presenter)
- 17th Asian Chemical Congress & 19th General Assembly, Melbourne, 2017 (Oral presenter)
- The Collaborative Conference on Crystal Growth, Hong Kong, 2015 (Invited speaker)
- First SQU International Chemistry Conference: Recent Trends in Drug Development, Muscat, Oman, 2015 (Poster presenter)
- Centre for NanoScale Science and Technology - Flinders University Seminar, 2014 (Presenter)
- 2011 Inorganic Conference of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute and the New Zealand Institute of Chemistry, Perth, Australia, 2011 (Poster presenter)
- ICMAT & IUMRS, Singapore, June 2009 (Poster presenter)
- 66th Young Researchers - Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting (Chemistry, 2013), The Council and the Foundation for the Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings
- Tan Sri Datuk Ong Kee Hui Postgraduate Chemistry Medal, Institut Kimia Malaysia, Supramolecular Self-Assembly Strategies Involving Water Soluble Calixarenes (PhD Thesis)
- UM Excellence Awards for Outstanding Achievement in the Category of PhD Completion Less Than 3 Years., University Malaya
- Silver Medal - UMEXPO 2009, University Malaya
- Technical Excellence Award (TBGA C90 Cu Low K Glob Material Development), Freescale Semiconductor (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd, Robust and sustainable process development in package encapsulation technology