Post Doctoral Fellow
School of Science
Secondary: +603 5514 61727
Dr Aswini did her Masters and PhD in Biotechnology (Molecular Genetic) at Biotechnology Research Institute, Universiti Malaysia Sabah. Her PhD project was on "Genetic diversity of the Green (Chelonia mydas) and Hawksbill (Erethmochelys imbricata) Turtles and the Prevalence of Chelonid Fibropapilloma-associated Herpesvirus (ChHV5) in Mabul Island Sabah, Malaysia" She brings with her experience and technical knowledge in solving problems related to Genetic, Microbiology, Histopathology and Bioinformatics among others. She has experience using next-gen sequencers such as Pacbio Sequencer and the Standard Sanger sequencer. Aswini joined Monash University Malaysia as a Research fellow in September 2020 and is working under the guidance of Assoc. Prof Qasim Ayub. Currently she is responsible for generating a generalized bioinformatic pipeline that can be used for genome analysis.
- PhD. Biotechnology, Universiti Malaysia Sabah, 2019
- Master of Science. Biotechnology, Universiti Malaysia Sabah, 2015
- Bachelor of Science (Hons.) Biomedical Sciences, Management and Science University (MSU), 2012
Molecular genetic, bioinformatic, animal genetic, population genetic, conservation genetic, microbiology
Conservation genetic, Animal genetic, Whole genome sequencing.
Loganathan, A.L., Palaniappan, P., & Kumar, S.V. (2021). Evidence of Chelonid Herpesvirus 5 (ChHV5) in Green Turtles (Chelonia mydas) from Sabah, Borneo.
Narges Mashkour, Karina Jones, Teresa Shamim Ahasan, Leigh Owens, Claire Saladin, Jose Luis Crespo Picazo, Brett Gardner, Aswini Leela Loganathan et al., (2020). Disease Risk Analysis in sea turtles: A baseline study to inform conservation efforts.
Loganathan, A.L., Palaniappan, P., & Kumar, S.V. (2018). First Reported Case of Fibropapillomatosis in Green Turtles in Sabah, Borneo. 38th International Sea Turtle Symposium (ISTS 38) Kobe, JAPAN. 18th-23rd February 2018.
Loganathan, A.L., Palaniappan, P., & Kumar, S.V. (2018). Use of PacBio Sequencer to Develop Novel Microsatellite Markers in Hawksbill Turtle. 12th Malaysia International Genetic Congress, 25th-27th September 2017, Bangi-Putrajaya Hotel, Selangor, MALAYSIA.
Loganathan, A.L., Palaniappan, P., & Kumar, S.V. (2018). Use of PacBio Sequencer to Develop Novel Microsatellite Markers in Hawksbill Turtle. Transaction of Persatuan Genetik Malaysia.
Loganathan, A.L., Kumar, S.V., Voo, C.L.Y., & Rodrigues, K.F. (2017). Mapping of Genes and Identification of Retroviral Element in the Nasalis larvatus Genome using Bioinformatic Approaches. Short Communication in Biotechnology, 4:11-17.
Loganathan, A.L., Kumar, S.V., Voo, C.L.Y., & Rodrigues, K.F. (2017). Comparison of Mitochondrial DNA Sequences of Nasalis Larvatus From Sabah And Sarawak. (2017) Borneo International Journal of Biology.
Malaysia Genetic Society - Since 2014- present
Expert / Technical Contribution
- Appointed as Assistant Instructor for NGS Bioinformatics Malaysia Virtual Workshop (1st -5th February, 2021)
- Appointed as Key Observer at the 5th Biotechnology Symposium: Biotechnology for Sustainable Development to Meet Global Challenges (15-16 November 2017)
- Participated at the 12th Malaysian International Genetic Congress: Soaring Beyond Frontier of Genetics (25th - 27th September 2017, Bangi Putrajaya Hotel, Selangor)
- Appointed as a member of the Secretariat committee for the 19th Biotechnology Postgraduate Seminar (13th- 17th January 2017)
- Appointed as a member of the Emcee committee for the 18th Biotechnology Postgraduate Seminar (24th- 28th June 2016)
- Organizing committee member Borneo Divers Celebration of Sea Turtles in Mabul (14th-17th November 2016)
- Appointed as a member of the Abstract Book and Scientific committee for the 17th Biotechnology Postgraduate Seminar (8th- 12th January 2016)
- Appointed as a Committee Leader of Registration for the 16th Biotechnology Postgraduate Seminar (16th- 18th June 2015)
- Appointed as a Head of Finance for the 13th Biotechnology Postgraduate Seminar (7th-9th January 2014)
- Participated at the 10th Malaysian Genetic Congress: Advances in Genetics, Biotechnology and Genomics (3rd- 5th December 2013, Palm Garden Hotel IOI Resort, Putrajaya)
- Participated and completed Technical Training for Applied Biosystem Genetic Analyzer 3130/3130xl (26th - 28th June 2013)
- Participated and completed Training for Field Staff for Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS) (16th – 21st July 2011) Institut Kesihatan Umum, Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia
Awards and Recognition
- First Place (Poster Presentation)- At the 12th Malaysia International Genetic Congress, 25th-27th September 2017, Bangi-Putrajaya Hotel, Selangor, Malaysia for the research “Use of PacBio Sequencer to Develop Novel Microsatellite Markers in Hawksbill Turtle”.
- Best Presenter and Outstanding Presentation (Oral Presentation)- At the 18th Postgraduate Seminar, 24th-28th June 2016, Biotechnology Research Institute, Universiti Malaysia Sabah.
- Best Presenter (Oral Presentation)- At the 16th Postgraduate Seminar, 16th-18th June 2015, Biotechnology Research Institute, Universiti Malaysia Sabah.
- Bronze Medal- At the 2013 UMS Research and Innovation Competition (PEREKA 2013) for the research “Mapping of Genes Related to Immunity and Identification of Retroviral Elements in the Nasalis larvatus Genome using Bioinformatic Approaches”
- President’s List- Diploma in Medical Lab Technology