Five replacements for plastic
The time for change is now! Plastic is bringing increasingly adverse effects to our planet and also its inhabitants. If we continue with the current trend of plastic usage, Earth will eventually become uninhabitable. We should all play a part in reducing unnecessary plastic usage. However, plastic is such a common everyday item that boycotting its usage is almost impossible.
What can we do?
Here are five convenient and easy replacements for plastics that you can use!
- Glass. Use glass bottles to store your liquids at home - such as hand soap, dishwashing liquid or detergent.
- Reusable bags. Bring your own reusable bags when shopping. It’s a great way to reduce the use of plastic bags, while still looking chic! Plastic bags are a huge source of plastic waste and can take centuries to decompose.
- Metal. Go for metal straws, metal spoons, metal forks, metal chopsticks… you get the idea! Instead of using plastic straws and cutleries readily available at certain food outlets, bring your own reusable metal ones.
- High-density polyethylene (HDPE). This is a BPA-free plastic that makes for a good multi-use water bottle. You can reduce the number of plastic cups by bringing your own bottle or takeaway mug when buying drinks.
- Plant-based plastics. Also known as Bioplastic, plant-based plastics are extremely sustainable to produce. It can be used to make bottles and food grade containers. Bring your own container when purchasing takeout food.
If you have more tips to share, let us know! Together, we can make a difference.