Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours)
KPT/JPT (R/727/6/0061) 03/20 - A7256
Why study the Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours)?
Pharmacists make a difference to people's health in hospitals, aged-care facilities and local communities. Our course gives you the knowledge, experience and expertise you need to make a difference from the moment you graduate as a medicine expert and healthcare professional. Pharmacists are in high demand in Malaysia, with the ratio to population about 1:4000.
As part of your degree, you will cover applied pharmaceutical sciences, enabling sciences, clinical and therapeutic sciences, and pharmacy practice, and gain the professional skills and other attributes required of a pharmacist.
Pharmacists are health professionals with the skills and knowledge to help patients understand and use medication. They also play a significant role in new drug development and innovation. We will give you the skills, knowledge and confidence to make a difference too.
Areas of study
- The structure and function of the body - how the body works, including studies of anatomy, physiology and biochemistry relevant to the discipline.
- Drug structure, disposition and action - how medicines work, including studies of medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, pharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics relevant to the discipline.
- Professional practice - what pharmacists do, including the sociocultural context in which the pharmacist and customer operates, social and health practice issues, as well as the ethical and legal context of pharmacy.
- Comprehensive care - how to manage diseases and disorders, including the relationship between pathophysiology and the design and use of drugs in treating various health conditions.
- Inquiry and innovation - how to employ problem-solving and innovative thinking skills in a laboratory, clinical, social or business environment.
- Professional experience - work based training programs and internships.
As an undergraduate student studying pharmacy at Monash, you’ll cover the six fundamental theme:
The course takes four years of full-time study to complete.
The Monash University Handbook has detailed information about the structure and requirements for the Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours).
The demand for pharmacists in Malaysia and the region is high, and pharmacists will likely remain a sought-after profession in the foreseeable future. Graduates will be able to find employment in the following sectors:
* Medication management
* Pharmaceutical care
* Health promotion
* Clinical pharmacy
* Total Parenteral Nutrition
* Therapeutic Drug Monitoring
* Outpatient Pharmacy
* Drug Information Services
GOVERNMENT (THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH)
* The Pharmaceutical Control Bureau
* The Pharmacy Services Division
* Research and development
* Clinical research
* Regulatory affairs
* Product information
* Sales and marketing
* Pharmacy officer
EDUCATION AND RESEARCH
* Research and development
To be a registered pharmacist in Malaysia, you must complete an additional one-year, pre-registration program under the supervision of the Pharmacy Board of Malaysia. More on career opportunities for pharmacists in Malaysia is available from the School of Pharmacy.
You will need the following entry scores for the Bachelor of Pharmacy:
|Commencing Monash University Foundation Year (MUFY) in 2017/2018*||75%*|
|A Level GCE||12|
|ATAR (International 2017) - Indicative score only||90|
|Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education||22|
|Indian School Certificate Examination||77%|
|All India Senior School Certificate||82%|
|International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma||33|
|Malaysia, Matriculation Program||3.33|
|Ontario Secondary School Diploma||84.9%|
|Sri Lankan General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level)||13|
|High School Diploma, Vietnam||8.56|
|UNSW Foundation Studies||8.5|
*The undergraduate entry requirements published are for students who commence the MUFY program in 2017/2018.
Chemistry and Mathematics (Australian Year 12 equivalent, with excellent results) are formal prerequisites for the Bachelor of Pharmacy. A third subject must be a Biology subject. Please contact the School of Pharmacy for more information.
In 2018, annual tuition fees for this course are:
- RM49,000 for Malaysian students
- RM53,900 for international students.
- Application - RM100
- Registration - RM200
- General amenities - RM100
Visa application fee for new international student
- Indonesia - RM3,340
- Other countries - RM2,330
There is one intake period each year in February for the Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours).
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychological Science and Business
- Bachelor of Psychological Science and Business (Psychology) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours)
For more information about this degree, contact us.