Why study the Bachelor of Arts and Social Sciences?
The world of work is changing rapidly. Employers seek flexible, well-informed graduates who are sophisticated communicators and analytical thinkers. Our graduates from the Bachelor of Arts and Social Sciences are equipped to apply for positions in a diverse range of fields, from journalism to diplomacy to marketing and public relations.
In Malaysia, your subject options encompass a vast array of disciplines, including the traditional, such as philosophy, literature, gender studies and religion, and the more recent ones, such as cultural studies, communication, media studies and film aesthetics.
Areas of study
At Monash Malaysia, we currently offer the following majors for this course:
- Global Studies
- Gender studies
- Journalism studies (minor)
- Screen studies (minor)
The course takes three years of full-time study to complete.
The Monash University Handbook has detailed information about the structure and requirements for the Bachelor of Arts and Social Sciences.
Graduates from the Bachelor of Arts and Social Sciences work in areas such as:
- Journalism, publishing, editing, writing, electronic media, public relations, corporate communications, international, regional and locally-based non-governmental organisations
- Marketing, advertising, business research and analysis
- Management consulting, international trade, human resources, training and development, management and administration
- Diplomacy, foreign affairs, politics
- Tourism, hospitality, entertainment and leisure industries
- Production, direction, management and administration, film, television and video
You will need the following entry scores for the Bachelor of Arts and Social Sciences:
|A Level GCE||7|
|Australian Year 12 ATAR||70|
|Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education||18|
|Indian School Certificate Examination||60%|
|All India Senior School Certificate||65%|
|International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma||25|
|Kenya, Certificate of Secondary Education||7|
|Malaysia, Matriculation Program||2|
|Ontario Secondary School Diploma - Grade 12||72.4%|
|Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)||1710|
|South Africa, National Senior Certificate (2009 onwards)||31|
|Sri Lanka A Level||9|
|Vietnam High School Diploma||8|
|Commencing Monash University Foundation Year (MUFY) in 2016/2017*||63.75%*|
|UNIPREP/UNSW Foundation Studies||6.5|
|The University of Melbourne Trinity College Foundation Studies||67%|
|Sunway Foundation in Arts||60%|
*The undergraduate entry requirements published are for students who commence the MUFY program in 2016/2017.
There are no formal prerequisites for the Bachelor of Arts and Social Sciences.
In 2017, annual tuition fees for this course are:
- RM34,000 for Malaysian students
- RM37,400 for international students.
- Application - RM100
- Registration - RM200
- General amenities - RM100
Visa application fee for new international student
- Indonesia - RM 2,840
- Other countries - RM 2,008
Each year, there are three intake periods for the Bachelor of Arts and Social Sciences. This means that you can start in February, July or October.
Applications for credit can include credit transfer for previous study or recognition of prior learning.
For more information about this degree, contact us.