Living in Malaysia
Where is Monash University Malaysia?
Monash University Malaysia is located near Kuala Lumpur in the vibrant and thriving township of Bandar Sunway in the district of Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.
By car, Bandar Sunway is only:
- 20 minutes from the Kuala Lumpur city centre via the New Pantai Expressway
- one hour from the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).
Living in Sunway means easy access to shopping and entertainment centres, hotels, residences, commercial banks, restaurants and hospitals. And living in Malaysia means easy access to the whole of South-East Asia.
Our employees can use a wide range of facilities and services on the Malaysia campus, including:
- ATMs, offering full banking services
- a bookshop and convenience store
- a spacious cafeteria that has local and international fare
- a multi-faith centre
- a parenting room
- a staff club, equipped with a lounge and gym.
Teaching and research support
Our campus has world-class facilities, including:
- 24 engineering laboratories, dedicated to specializations such as robotics and mechatronics
- state of-the-art television and radio studios
- Malaysia’s only live-cell imaging microscope and single-cell imaging microscope.
Our Library and Learning Commons is the pride of our campus. This dynamic facility, with integrated IT, encourages learning through inquiry, collaboration, discussion and consultation. Here, students and staff have access to:
- over 315,000 e-books, 60,000 e-journals and 1,000 electronic databases
- online lectures
- reading lists
- past exam papers.
You can easily lease condominiums or houses in various residential districts of Bandar Sunway. Accommodation may be part or fully furnished.
Costs typically range from RM1500 (one-bedroom apartment) to RM 2500 upwards (three-bedroom house). Rental conditions will vary but can include requirements such as a deposit equivalent to 3.5 months rent, made up of:
- two months rent as deposit
- one month rent as advance
- half a month rent as deposit for electricity and water bills.
Local public education is only available for Malaysian nationals. For non-Malaysians, private education is the standard.
International schools with English as the medium of instruction are generally easy to find. Many offer study programs and calendars that you’ll probably find are similar to offerings in your home country. Notable schools to enquire about are:
- Sunway International School
- Alice Smith School
- Australian International School
- Garden International School
- Sri Kuala Lumpur.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further queries.