Sharon Koh Geok May
Fantastic infrastructure and support
Doctor of Philosophy, School of Business (expected completion 2017)
Awards and scholarships:
Jeffrey Cheah Travel Grant for Southeast Asian Studies at Harvard University (Fall 2015)
Best Paper-Mid to Late Stage during the 7th Doctoral Colloquium organized by Monash University, School of Business.
Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Postgraduate Research Scholarship
Post Graduate Diploma Scholarship holder, Monash University, School of Business
1. Full name / nationality.
Sharon Koh Geok May / Malaysian
2. Describe your current major, or the current focus of your research thesis.
My study focuses on understanding the causes of income inequality in Asia.
3. Why did you choose Monash Malaysia?
I chose Monash because it is internationally recognised for its excellence in teaching and research.
4. While at Monash, what type of opportunities did you participate in?
I benefitted from research seminars, workshops and public lectures held by the university. Monash has given me a wide variety of opportunities which I would otherwise not have been able to obtain elsewhere.
5. How has your postgraduate experience been at Monash?
Monash provides the necessary infrastructure and support for me to improve my research skills. I believe this will help me towards a rewarding career in academia.
6. Why did you choose to do a postgraduate degree? What were the benefits and challenges that came with studying in a postgraduate course?
I wanted to advance my career besides personal development. Wearing different hats – being a working mother and a student at the same time, is a balancing act.
7. What did you love most about your student life at Monash?
The infrastructure and support network at Monash is fantastic.
8. What is your goal in life, where are you headed to in the future?
To join academia and eventually to be a subject matter expert in the field that I am researching on.
9. What is your advice to current Monash Malaysia students?
Be prepared to work hard but try to make the most out of your experience in Monash.