Bachelor of Psychological Science (Honours)
KPT/JPT (R2/311/6/0067) 10/25 - MQA/SWA0131
Why study the Bachelor of Psychological Science (Honours)?
Upon successful completion of the bachelor's degree, you can opt to extend your studies for an extra year. This course aims to increase your understanding of theoretical and methodological aspects of research, to develop your analytic, research and communication skills, and to provide you with advanced knowledge in specific areas of the science and practice of psychology. In this program you must complete coursework components designed to expand your knowledge of statistics and the ethics of psychological research and practice, and broaden your understanding of the discipline. You will also undertake a supervised research project which aims to provide training in both discipline-specific and generic research skills. The research project forms the basis of a literature review and research paper presented at the end of the course.
This course also prepares you for the transition into pursuing a higher degree such as Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) and Doctor of Psychology (DPsych) as well as Masters in Psychology courses. Students with an Honours degree in Psychology from Monash University Malaysia can apply for Higher Degree by Research (HDR) programs directly. The program also includes coursework components designed to expand your knowledge of statistics and the ethics of psychological research and practice.
Together, the research project and the coursework will:
- increase your understanding of theoretical and methodological aspects of research
- develop your analytical, research and communication skills
- provide you with advanced knowledge in specific areas of the science and practice of psychology.
The course takes one year of full-time study to complete.
This course consists of various assessed components – supervised research project, coursework seminars and lectures, and a series of skills workshops. The course builds\on knowledge gained in the undergraduate psychology major.
- PSY4100 Psychology Honours: Research Project
- PSY4210 Statistics and Data Science for Psychology
- PSY4220 Ethical, legal and professional issues in psychology
- PSY4270 Psychological Assessment and Intervention
- PSY4110 Psychology in Society
Students enrolled in the Bachelor of Arts (Honours) and Bachelor of Science (Honours) also follow the same Honours course structure.
The Monash University Handbook has detailed information about the structure and requirements for the Bachelor of Psychological Science (Honours).
By completing this program, you are well prepared to undertake further studies towards psychological clinical practice or research. If you wish to practice as a psychologist, you will need to undertake further studies and supervised training.
To enter Monash University, students must satisfy particular academic, English language and age requirements.
Applicants must have successful completion of the Monash Bachelor of Psychological Science and Business, Bachelor of Psychological Science, or a Bachelors degree and a major sequence in psychology accredited by the Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) or qualification assessed as equivalent by the APAC, with a minimum of a distinction average (70 percent) in core psychology units at the third-year level.
In 2021, annual tuition fees for this course are:
- RM38,213 for Malaysian students
- RM43,575 for international students.
- Application - RM100
- Registration - RM200
- General amenities - RM100
Visa application fee for new international student
- Indonesia - RM3,340 (2 years)
- Other countries - RM2,330 (1 year)
There is one intake period in February each year for the Bachelor of Psychological Science (Honours).
Applications for credit can include credit transfer for previous study or recognition of prior learning.
- Bachelor of Psychological Science and Business
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Medicine Science and Doctor of Medicine (BMedSc/MD)
- Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
For more information about this double degree, contact us.